Whether you are an experienced website creator or a newbie to the field, chances are that your website designs have benefited greatly from the proliferation of website designing tools such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.
Even with any one particular tool, you still have the option of choosing from many available website designs, as every system has a wide range of themes and further customisation is possible. If you have the imagination and creativity to create completely unique website designs, you could also create your own theme from scratch, which you can later sell to other designers and developers!
The best thing about WordPress is that it allows you to create websites without much investment in time and money. However, good website designs have been proven to increase traffic and, consequently, sales so it is important to consider getting proper training or hiring a professional to lay the groundwork for you.
Another advantage of WordPress is that it is open source, which allows independent developers to enhance the basic functionality of the platform by developing plug-ins, many of which are cheap or free!
Simple steps for a successful WordPress website:
1. Register your domain name and buy a hosting plan.
2. Install WordPress on your server (many web hosting packages come with WordPress pre-installed).
3. Choose a theme, and customise the colours and designs to suit your taste.
4. Add the plug-ins that you desire. Some of the top plug-ins available are: Akismet, All In One SEO Pack, Google Analytics for WordPress, Google XML Sitemaps, WP Super Cache, WP Contact Form, Sociable and WordPress Simple Paypal shopping Cart.
5. Create static pages for the About, Contact, etc sections of your website.
6. Create a blog page that will be updated frequently. This can also be your landing page.
7. Integrated the functionality of the plug-ins into your static pages and /or blog.